Precision Rifle 101, An Introduction to Long Range Shooting
Welcome to the beginning of your journey into the incredibly rewarding discipline of precision shooting! We’ve created the ideal training environment for this unique sport by taking you through a systematic approach to the fundamentals and mechanics of precision shooting. Consider this an introduction to the life-long pursuit of mastering the union of the mind and body, and the science of bullets in flight.
Success in precision shooting hinges on our ability to blend two very different sides of the human brain, and patterns of thinking. These two vastly different thought processes are the science of precision shooting and the art of precision shooting. The art form is how we interact with our rifles, and how we interpret the environment we’re shooting in. Ultimately we’re looking for consistency, and the union of the mind and the body. Once you’ve established a baseline of competence with the fundamentals of marksmanship, you’ll move into understanding the science of the bullet in flight, and what tools you need to precisely place a bullet exactly where you want it when you want it there.
Regardless of your skill, chances are you’re going to learn something from Precision Rifle 101. We take a holistic and systematic approach to training. Our process is one that will provide you with different opportunities to learn a skill through a combination of lecture, demonstration, and application of skills. We pride ourselves in understanding the learning process, and how important it is to identify each student’s individuality with regard to learning.
What You’ll Learn:
- The Circle of Components
- The Fundamentals of Marksmanship
- Rifle and Optic Set-Up
- Introduction to Internal and External Ballistics
- Introduction to Wind Reading
- Understanding Trajectory Variables
- Trajectory Validation
- Care and Cleaning
- Introduction to Alternate Shooting Positions
- Challenging Shooting Drills
- A clear path forward to go on your own!
The gear…. It’s become a race unto itself! Let’s start this off by saying that you don’t need the latest and greatest gear that everyone in the competitive world is using to be successful in precision shooting! Your success is determined by you, and you only! Bring what you have, and use this training course as an opportunity to see what really works for you. We have a slew of gear for you to use in the event you don’t have something, so please before you spend a bunch of money, ask us first!!
Overall, if there’s ANY question on the gear listed here, please don’t hesitate to reach out and ask us.
- A precision rifle capable of shooting at least 1 Minute of Angle groups at 100 yards.
- A magnified optic with exposed target-style turrets. (Bring your manual and tools!)
- A scope bubble level. (If it’s not installed, don’t worry, we’ll do that in class.)
- 2x Magazines (If your rifle uses detachable magazines.)
- A bipod, capable of Left/Right cant adjustments.
- A rifle sling. (We recommend the Magpul MS1 Sling.)
- 400 Rounds of Match Ammunition (Please view our handload policy here.)
- The Hornady 4 DOF Ballistic Solver application on your smartphone.
- Shooting mat (If you really need one….)
- Rear shooting support. (We recommend the Armageddon Gear Pint-Sized Gamechanger Bag)
- Rifle cleaning kit. (Watch this video here for what we recommend.)
- Notebook with pen, pencil, and a black sharpie marker.
- Daypack capable of hauling all your range gear. (We recommend the Stone Glacier Kiowa bag.)
Personal Sustainment Items There is no such thing as bad weather, only a poor choice in clothing…
- Clothing appropriate for the weather. (We recommend a merino wool hooded sun shirt, long baggy pants, and a floppy hat.)
- Folding chair
- Water (Plan on consuming at least 1 gallon per day.)
- Food for lunch, and snacks if you need them.
Nice-To-Have’s (We have a lot of this gear available for shared/loaned use during the course.)
- Laser Rangefinder
- Spotting Scope
- Shooting Tripod