In this course you will cover a mountain of information (pun intended) during the 5 days you’ll spend with us. We’ll start off with two days on the rifle range, learning the necessary skills you’ll need to make a responsible and ethical shot under austere conditions, with the end state goal of you having a solid grasp of your capabilities, and your limitations with your rifle. Moving into the backcountry, you’ll put on your pack and spend three days in the mountains of the Pacific Northwest simulating a typical backcountry hunt. There you’ll learn about gear, how to pack your pack, fit your pack, land navigation, locating game, and taking live-fire shots under real-world conditions.
What you will learn...
On the range:
- The long range shooting system (Rifle, Optic, Ammo, Range-finder)
- Rifle set-up
- How to zero and gain confidence in your scope
- Fundamentals of marksmanship
- External ballistics
- Ballistic computer programs and how to interpret the data
- Terminal ballistics
- Wind reading and compensation
- Trajectory validation of YOUR ammunition
- Unknown distance shooting out to as far as your rifle can shoot
- Field shooting and alternate shooting positions
In the backcountry:
- Proper gear selection
- How to properly pack and fit your backpack
- Basic land navigation with a map and compass
- Backcountry nutrition
- Route finding and hiking techniques
- Techniques of observation and locating game
- Campsite selection
- Locating water sources
- Basic backcountry first aid
- Backcountry emergency procedures
- Trail camera techniques and tips
- Live-fire field shooting scenarios
- Meat handling and cache tips
What should I bring?
For the mountain hunter there is little that is more rewarding than reveling in the greatness and the solitude of the backcountry while pursuing game, all the while relying only on yourself and your decisions. Mountain hunting takes on a whole new meaning when you step away from the safety and security of the roads and immerse yourself into the backcountry. It’s a daunting feat for the beginner, and that’s why we created the Backcountry Hunter’s course.
Modern Day Sniper and Guiderite Adventures teamed up to create this one-of-a-kind course to get you started on the right foot. Luke Carrick of Guidetrite Adventures is a professional hunting guide with over 20 years of experience backpack hunting the northwest, all over North America, and Africa. Caylen Wojcik of Modern Day Sniper has 20 years of experience behind a rifle and has been a backpack hunter for 8 years. As partners, Caylen and Luke decided to bring their knowledge together and create this unique training opportunity. Our goal at the Backcountry Hunter’s Course is to give you the knowledge, tools, and experience you need to be confident, safe, and successful on a backcountry backpack hunt.